The store at the Académie museum opens on September 30, 2021; Planned retail collaborations with Academy members, Los Angeles-based artists and designers, and other film partners
Bill Kramer, director and president of the Academy Museum of Motion Pictures, today unveiled plans for the Academy Museum Store, which will open to the public and launch online alongside the museum’s opening on September 30, 2021. the retail space, located on the first floor of the Saban building, has entrances into the great lobby of the Academy Museum and onto Wilshire Boulevard.
The Academy Museum store will feature merchandise designed and produced exclusively for the store, OscarÂ® memorabilia and other movie-related items. Visitors will find clothing, furniture, accessories, vinyl records, office and home items, posters, cards, illustrations, toys, games and other movie-related collectibles. In addition, the Academy Museum Store will offer the most comprehensive collection of movie books and catalogs in Los Angeles. The store will carry items for visitors of all ages.
âThe Academy Museum is committed to presenting the diverse and inclusive stories of art and film artists, and this philosophy extends to our Academy Museum store. We are honored to work with so many brilliantly talented Academy members who complement their cinematic work by designing and developing unique and exceptional items for the store, âsaid Kramer. âWe are also thrilled to be working with so many dynamic, diverse and inspiring partners based in Los Angeles and California on the creation of merchandise and collectibles. These collaborations, along with our unrivaled selection of cinema books and catalogs, will provide visitors with a retail experience like no other.
True to its location in the heart of Los Angeles, the film capital of the world, the Academy Museum Store is proud to partner with many artists, designers and creatives based in Los Angeles and California to produce products especially for the store. , especially :
- Amoeba Music: A selection of vinyl film scores and soundtracks curated by the renowned West Coast independent music and film retailer
- Brain Dead x The Jim Henson Company: a co-branded collection of clothing and accessories inspired by The black crystal
- Flores Lane: a handcrafted line of luxury candles inspired by cinematic genres, with scents designed to evoke the feeling of period pieces and sci-fi fantasy, among others
- Konstantin Kakanias: collection of merchandise including accessories and stationery, and a puzzle with a bespoke map of Los Angeles made exclusively for the store
- Susan Kare: An assortment of clothing, accessories, housewares and stationery with bitmap icons inspired by the masterpieces in the museum’s collection
- Modernica x Studio Ghibli: limited edition chairs celebrating fantastic worlds and characters from Hayao Miyazaki’s films
- Wayne Perry: A collection of handmade ceramic vases and planters inspired by the iconic gold cylinder facade of the Saban building, plus a capsule of coins inspired by the film
- Poketo: a range of household items, stationery and accessories, using artwork inspired by the Academy’s museum collection and infused with Poketo design and aesthetics
- Wolfum: a collection of home decorations that will include trays, bookends and coasters
The exhibitions, screenings and public and educational programs of the Academy Museum are developed with the expertise of Academy members, artists and film professionals who are leaders in their fields of craftsmanship. and industry. The Academy Museum Boutique amplifies these partnerships by working with Academy members to create items exclusively for the boutique:
- Costume designer Ruth E. Carter, with Black Panther jewelry designer Douriean Fletcher, created a jewelry line developed from the original gilded glass mosaic tiles of the museum’s iconic gold cylinder
- Production and concept designer I. Javier Ameijeiras designs a series of illustrations for use on museum merchandise
- The Gravillis graphic design agency, founded by Kenny Gravillis, creates a series of exclusive movie posters
- Spike Lee and his team at 40 Acres and a Mule present a range of objects designed in collaboration with the Director’s Inspiration Gallery in the museum’s Stories of Cinema exhibit, which features some of the objects from Lee’s personal collection for its first rotation. .
The Academy Museum is honored to work with Academy member and costume designer Arianne Phillips (Once Upon a Time … in Hollywood, Walk the Line), who is the Creative Director of an edited clothing collection. limited inspired by The Wizard of Oz. Phillips, along with other Academy members and costume designers Arjun Bhasin (The life of Pi, the marriage of the monsoon), Sharen Davis (Dream girls, Ray) and Sandy Powell (The favorite, Orlando), design T-shirts inspired by the iconic movie. Phillips is also teaming up with fashion designer Jeremy Scott to design a bespoke capsule collection of clothing and accessories also based on The Wizard of Oz which will be produced by Moschino. All these pieces will be sold exclusively at the Boutique du MusÃ©e de l’AcadÃ©mie.
Phillips said: âI am delighted and honored to have been invited by the Academy’s museum team to imagine and design exclusive products inspired by The Wizard of Oz, one of our most iconic films that has continued to inspire generations and a central feature of the Academy Museum’s opening exhibition. It is a great pleasure for me to collaborate with my esteemed fellow costume designers as well as with Jeremy Scott, Moschino’s creative director and natural storyteller, who has long been inspired by costume design and filmmaking.
The Academy Museum Store will feature collaborations with film partners, including the Bruce Lee Foundation, on a collection that celebrates Bruce Lee’s career as an actor, martial artist and writer, in addition to the Saul Bass Estate, highlighting Saul Bass’s iconic graphic design work, movie posters and credits. The museum is also collaborating with Hayao Miyazaki’s studio Ghibli to offer special collections for museum visitors that will include original movie posters and prints, an exclusive collection of Her Universe clothing and accessories, as well as home items. , cooking, stationery, games and collectibles from Japan, plus an assortment of plush toys and books that celebrate Miyazaki’s films.
Finally, the store will give a nod to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences through a vast selection of Oscars.Â®-related items, including a LegoÂ® Oscar statuette designed by Nathan Sawaya, vintage posters and memorabilia, Oscar viewing party supplies, stationery and accessories.
About the Cinema Academy Museum
The Academy Museum is the largest institution in the United States dedicated to the arts, sciences and film artists. The museum advances the understanding, celebration and preservation of cinema through inclusive and accessible exhibits, screenings, programs, initiatives and collections. Designed by Pritzker Prize-winning architect Renzo Piano, the museum’s campus contains the restored and revitalized historic Saban Building – formerly known as the May Company Building (1939) – and a burgeoning spherical addition. Together these buildings contain 50,000 square feet of exhibition space, two state-of-the-art theaters, an education studio, restaurant, retail store and beautiful public spaces. The museum opens to the public on September 30, 2021.