The candidacy for the reopening of the “super cinema” of the high school of Govan rejected
An offer to redevelop and reopen Govan’s “super cinema” – the Lyceum – was rejected by the council.
Plans to renovate the 1930s listed building on Govan Road were submitted to Glasgow City Council last year.
They asked for permission to use the premises as a cinema, concert hall and restaurant.
But the planners rejected the request, believing that the redesign would “have a negative impact” on the listed building B.
The cinema, registered in the register of buildings at risk, has not screened films since 1981. It has been transformed into a bingo hall, which closed in 2006.
Mohammad Choudry, of Versatyle Ltd, submitted the plans, which indicated that the cinema could have accommodated up to 495 people per film.
He had hoped to open the room until midnight on weekdays and until 1 a.m. on weekends.
A restaurant could have accommodated 90 guests while a café would have welcomed around 30 clients.
The proposed concert hall – for events such as concerts, receptions, conferences and bingo nights – could have accommodated between 800 and 1,400 people, according to Mr Choudry’s plans.
Reasons for denying the request included a “potentially significant increase in noise and disturbance” and a lack of proper service plans for the proposed concert use, which could have taken place at antisocial hours.
The planned modifications to the main entrance, including the removal of the original entrance gates, were “inappropriate”, the planners decided.
And the addition of roller shutters “would significantly harm the appearance of the building and the local street scene.”
In 2019, council was informed that the private owner was planning to reopen part of the property as a cinema.
Sign up for News bulletins live from Glasgow for more titles straight to your inbox
But a report to councilors said the community feared work could proceed on the basis of “a past record.”
Alternative proposals were being considered by the Govan Housing Association, he added.
The Lyceum opened in December 1938 and could accommodate 2,600 people. It was built on the site of the Lyceum Theater in 1899, which had burned down.
In 1974, the auditorium was split, with bingo in the stalls and a 480-seat cinema on the balcony.